Thursday, August 31, 2017

Musical Musings: Days 28-30

Since I've got two posts to make today, let's just dive right in!



Day 28: Fighting To Survive by Building 429

Let me be clear that I can't stand this band. I listened to them for awhile because I was being forced to listen to Christian music and almost nothing else, and they kind of suck. And by "kind of" I mean "HolyMotherOfGodHowTheHellDidTheseGuysGetSignedEvenOnAChristianLabel?!"

Anyway, this song always stuck with me, despite the band singing it. (Hm, someone else needs to cover this and make it better....) It's message is very simple: We're all in this together, and downing a person when you have no idea what they're going through isn't right. You might be more like them than you think.

So, I recommend listening to this song purely for the message, because the lead singer sucks. If you can struggle past him, I think you'll find a song worth remembering, like I have.






Day 29: Terminal by Jon Foreman

This song was the first track feature on the Wonderlands EP set. It's very haunting and beautiful, and deserves to be the first track you hear.

"The doctor says I’m dying,
I die a little every day.
He’s got no prescription,
That could take my death away.
The doctor says, It don’t look so good
It’s terminal."

With an opening like that, how can you not listen to the rest of the song? This planet is a ship we all share, and we're all terminal, so why do we fight our brothers and sisters? This song is food for thought.






Day 30: Goodnight Song by Tears For Fears

This song is special to me because it perfectly captures the feeling of playing a show for a good audience. When the lights go on, and the guitars are screaming. When the crowd knows the song and starts singing along, maybe with the wrong lyrics, but they're giving it all their heart. That's a very special and precious feeling that let's a musician know that what they're doing is worth it. This was also Tears' last song to have Chart success, way back in 1993. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment