Friday, August 11, 2017

Musical Musings: Days 8-11

Another four days, another four songs for your listening pleasure. (Not THAT kind of pleasure, ya sicko!) As always, if you guys have any thoughts I'd love to hear them in the comments, so don't be shy.



Day 8: One Day by Matisyahu

I first heard this song late one night (or early one morning, depending on how you look at it) while I was trying to fight through depression long enough to get some sleep. I got the idea to listen to an old favorite of mine, Heaven by Brett Dennen, and after I was done, youtube suggested a live version of this song. It was one of those moments I've come to appreciate more and more as I get older, where a song finds me exactly when I need it most.

At almost every show I play now, I try to make sure I work a cover of One Day in, because I feel it's a message we all need to hear, to be reminded of over and over. Now, more than two years after first hearing this song, I'm still not tired of it.





Day 9: Ain't No Reason by Brett Dennen

So yeah, remember that Brett Dennen guy I mentioned a minute ago? Well he's awesome and I still have a clear recollection of the day I first heard him on the radio. This was back when a little show called Reg's Coffeehouse was on 100.5 in Birmingham, before that station got gutted and turned into yet another political talk-radio station with nothing but O'Reilly, Jones and Beck wannabe caricatures. But that's just par for the course for my hometown at this point, so I digress.

So where was I? Oh, yeah! I was driving to work one afternoon in 2009 at around 1:00pm. I pulled out onto the highway, and just as I was passing the old Jet Pep gas station on the right, Reg decided to hit play on a song called Heaven (the one I mentioned earlier) and at first I was a little turned off by Brett's voice, I'll admit.... But then I listened to what the man was saying, and he had me.

Honestly, I could've put Heaven or Ain't No Reason in this spot. They're both wonderful songs, tackling important issues, but the coin toss decided on Ain't No Reason, so that's what I went with, but I suggest listening to both, if you have the time. And if you don't, make time.





Day 10: Nothing Is Real by Goo Goo Dolls

If you know me, you knew this guys would make it in at some point this month, just like you know Switchfoot, U2 and Tears For Fears will be back (spoiler alert, by the way) before the month's over.

So, off of my favorite Goo Goo Dolls album comes Nothing Is Real. Introspective, poetic, philosophical. The big three on my checklist for a great song, and they're all checked. This one caught me from the first verse(first line, really, but I'll give you the whole verse):

"Hey, anybody in this world?
Can you talk to me awhile?
Find a reason for it all?
'Cause I keep thinking backwards,
To a place I've never been,
To a home that never was,
It's like I'm losing it again,
And it takes so long to say these words,
Can you wait that long for me?"

If you want to know the rest, you'll have to listen below.





Day 11: Wavin' Flag by K'Naan

A crappier version of this song was used for the Fifa World Cup in 2010, and that's the version most people have heard. This version, though, is infinitely better in every way. It's an anthem of hope. We could use more of those, I think. But this one speaks for itself so, give it a listen.





And with that, I'll see yo guys next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment