Saturday, August 12, 2017

The Little Things

Taking a quick break from the Musical Musings series to do something a little different. I had this idea last night while I was siting around, thinking about my various friendships over the years, and it stuck me that who I am now is due in part to what I've learned from my friends at different stages of my life. So I figured: Why not get a little mushy and give some shoutouts to my friends for all those little (or not so little) things they've taught me throughout the years. So, here goes....



Rickman: What can I say, man? We've had more crazy nights jumping bar-to-bar in Fultondale than I can count. You helped teach me how to cut loose and just have fun, even when other people in the room are looking at you funny. Can't thank you enough for that.


Nagato: You helped me learn an important lesson. That no matter how much I improve, there's always more room to improve past that. I remember the first time I took a Monthly over you and thought I'd finally pushed past you. Then, the next month, I took 2nd to you. Then, a month or two later, I beat you again, and it continued like that for months. We could never take each other for granted, and some of my favorite matches I've ever played were against you in those tournaments. (Even thought Isaac said we were both pressing too many buttons.)

At the end of the day, man, I know that even beyond Fighting Games, I've always got you in my corner, and I hope you know I'm always in yours.


John: At first it seemed like the rest of us were helping you come out of your shell, but then you helped the rest of us realize we still had a bit of a shell to lose ourselves. Between me, you and Rickman we had a solid years (or more) of killer weeks. I wouldn't trade those for anything.


Jarad: I still miss our weekly WoD/D&D sessions. In that times I learned an important lesson from you and didn't even realize it until yesterday. It's what sparked the whole idea for this post, so thanks. What was it, you ask? Well, I've always prided myself on being a guy who thinks on my feet, but in our WoD campaign you showed me ways of tackling things I'd never even considered before. You made me, not just a better DM, but a better person in general just from playing our silly little pretend games, haha!

Outside of that, seeing you take annoying situations in stride made me take a look at myself and learn to let some small things go. My temper still clouds my view a lot, but less so now, thanks in part to you. So, when are we all gonna hang out again, ya mook?


Jen: You helped teach me about determination. You're not a person to shy away from a challenge, (like I used to be) you just go kick the challenge's ass, and I respect (and envy) that.

 Also, I feel like I should apologize for the times we were having a discussion about something geeky and I got loud with a different opinion. I really like hearing your views on those things, then I get excited and try to quickly (and loudly) inject my entire view into the conversation in one go and it just makes look like an ass. I'll work on that in the future. Here's to more drunken tabletop nights sometime soon!


Tori: I feel like just being around you makes me more adventurous. You're always up to try something new and exciting, and I need to be more like that myself. I know that if I ever need someone to travel across country to see a concert with me, I can count on you. XD


Luke: Ah, my beautiful Lennon-esque friend. You're wicked smart but it's never gone to your head, and that means something. You're kindhearted, funny (especially when you're drunk) and you like my cooking. Also, I know you treat Tori really well, so with all that going, looks like we'll be friends for life.


Tajh: My man! If I'm ever in a pinch I know I can count on you. When we first started hanging out last year, I was giving you pointers on playing Street Fighter, but you taught me something, too. How to actually HAVE FUN playing on occasion. Not sure what else I can say, but don't ever change, bro!


Chris Currie: I've never name-dropped anybody in one of my songs before, not until I met you. That's just how much of an impact you've had on me in the past year. I've said it a million times, and I'll say it a million more: I wouldn't have kept playing/writing music this year if it weren't for you. You pushed me forward, and gave me a nice shove every time I stalled out. I can't thank you enough, brother.

Mike Laws: Hope you didn't think I forgot about you, brother. We haven't gotten to hang out for awhile, but I figure that's gonna change pretty soon. Between you and Chris pushing me in my music, I know I can't lose. Thanks for talking to me that one night at the End Zone (you know what I'm talking about) and giving me the kind words. They really did help.


Andy: Brother. That's the first word that comes to mind whenever you pop into my head. Not only did you encourage my writing all those years ago when no one else did, but I've taken life advice from you more times than I can count. Beyond that, you taught me that sometimes when things look scary, the only thing you can do is dive in and take a chance. Moving from my teenage years into adulthood was a much easier transition than it could've been, thanks to you. And thanks for not getting mad all those times I called you at bad times, in desperate need of advice.


Isaac: Man, where to start? I've already said that getting into the Birmingham FGC was one of the best decisions I ever made, that it taught me things that carried over into real life and made me a better person, etc. You believed in me when I didn't believe in myself and pushed me to get better. And whenever I needed advice outside of Fighting Games, you were never too busy to listen and offer advice. Between you and Andy, I've had some really solid coaches for the past decade or so, and I look forward to paying you back someday for all you've done. Thanks, big guy.



And that's it! Hope no one feels bad for not seeing their name. There were other things I wanted to say, other names I wanted to drop, but I'd be here all day if I did. So with that, my gushing is over and ... yeah, that's it. This post was mainly for me. Just wanted to say thanks to these folks that I love. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment